In conjunction with its “Featured Article” and “Video History Series” posts, BTHS presents its first Featured Artifact! The Binghamton Township Historical Society Museum houses an extensive collection of artifacts from the Town of Binghamton, everything from antique farm equipment to memorabilia from former town businesses to personal mementos from prominent town figures.
The goal of the Featured Artifact series is to highlight some of our favorite artifacts, as well as some of our lesser known pieces. Interested in learning more about an artifact you see here? Contact the BTHS officers to schedule a visit to the Museum, or join us for one of our scheduled events!
Our first featured artifact is an Andes Wood Cookstove with a breadwarmer top, built by Phillips & Clark Stove Co. of Geneva, New York
In 1885 the firm of G.H. Phillips & Co. moved from Troy to Geneva; a proposition was soon made to organize the company for the manufacture of stoves on an extensive scale. Local capitalists were hesitant about entering into the enterprise, but after a short time a stock company with $100,000 capital was incorporated.
Phillips expressed an interest to take $75,000 of the stock, which was considered quite surprising at the time. Mr. Phillips was an experienced businessman and saw grand possibilities to be attained. Buildings were erected and the company began production. At its time, this was the largest and best-paying industry in the area, employing approximately 250 men with an output of 100 stoves per day.
Andres stoves were sold in Binghamton by Wright & Hull.
The stove was donated by Diane Cafferty, who named it “Emma.”